Cultural Studies Divisional Library
The Cultural Studies Divisional Library (BBK) comprises 22 libraries of various seminars and institutes of the Faculty of Humanities, interdisciplinary centres and the Göttingen State and University Library. It is situated in the new building of the Cultural Studies Centre.
As a reference library with holdings available on loan, it supplies information and literature for cultural studies teachers and students.
Please use this catalogue access point to the Göttingen University Catalogue (GUK) to request items from the Central library to the Cultural Studies Divisional Library. Only applicable for holdings which may be borrowed.
Cultural Studies Divisional Library
|Cultural Studies Divisional Library (Heinrich-Düker-Weg 14, Tel. +49 551 39-21250) |
Access, location map and library floorplan
|Information Desk, access and use||Mon - Fri|
| 8:00 - 22:00|
10:00 - 22:00
|5. - 19.7.2015||Sun||10:00 - 22:00|
|Service enquiries LRC||Mon, Wed, Fri|
|10:00 - 14:00|
13:00 - 17:00
You will find further information on all subjects in the Cultural Studies Divisional Library on our specific subject sites. Please refer to these sites for lists of recent acquisitions, subject databases or if you have any suggestions for purchase or wish to contact members of staff.
Information leaflets for the subjects will help you to find your way around in the library. The reference desk provides printed copies.
- Egyptology and Coptic Studies: information leaflet (PDF 148 KB), subject information
- Ancient History: subject information
- Ancient Oriental Studies: subject information
- Arabic and Islamic Studies: subject information
- Narratology: subject information
- Ethnology: subject information
- Finno-Ugric Languages and Literatures: subject information
- History of Science: subject information
- India and South Asia: information leaflet (PDF 148 KB), subject information
- Iranian Studies: subject information
- Classical Philology: subject information
- Cultural Anthropology / European Ethnology: subject information
- Regional History: subject information
- Medieval and Neo Latin Studies: subject information
- Medieval and Modern History: subject information
- East Asia: subject information
- Eastern European History: subject information
- Philosophy: subject information
- Romance Studies: subject information
- Slavonic Studies: subject information
- Turkish Studies: information leaflet (PDF 154 PDF), subject information
We are happy to assist you with any questions you may have about the use of the library and to assist you in finding and borrowing specialist literature.
- an open shelf area with monographs, periodicals, reference works and encyclopedias arranged by subject
- databases for information and literature research
- electronic periodicals
- a self-pick-up shelf for items requested from the Central Library
- semester reserves
- a shelf for most recent acquisitions
- 36 group workplaces
- approx. 220 individual workplaces
- a parent-child room
- lounge areas
- 30 carrels
- WiFi web-access (via GoeMobile and eduroam). Tract A provides plug sockets.
- the Learning Resources Center (LRC) with 24 PC-working places and 18 more in the whole library
- 120 lockers – freely available for storage of own documents, reserve at information desk
- PCs with access to numerous catalogues, licensed databases, all functions (programmes, internet, printing) for students at Göttingen University and registered private individuals
- self-check terminals
- individual library tours by appointment
- printing, copying and scanning facilities
- slide scanner
- approx. 450 lockers for jackets, bags etc.
Non-circulating / reference collection mostly
As the predominant part of our holdings consists of non-circulating items, week-end loans only are possible for students. Staff of the Centre for Cultural Studies may borrow most items any time.
Holdings of the non-European Cultural Studies section may in most cases be borrowed for two to four weeks.
Holdings of the Cultural Studies Divisional Library can be searched in the Göttingen University Catalogue (GUK).
Materials from other libraries may be provided via inter-library loan, resp. via document supply services.
Location Cultural Studies Divisional Library
How to get to the Cultural Studies Divisional Library
By public transport
From the train station
The bus lines 21 (Nikolausberg) and 23 (Faßberg) will take you to the "Blauer Turm" bus stop. From there turn right into Goßlerstraße. Having passed the multistorey car-park on your left hand side, you will find the small passage leading to the Cultural Studies Divisional Library.
From the city centre
Bus number 22 (Nikolausberg) will take you to the bus stop "Blauer Turm". From there turn right into Goßlerstraße. Having passed the multistorey car-park on your left hand side, you will find the small passage leading to the Cultural Studies Divisional Library.
Bus line 91 (Rohringen / Herberhausen) will take you to "Campus" bus stop in Goßlerstraße, from there head off to the left towards the multistorey car-park. You will find the small passage leading to the Cultural Studies Divisional Library just before reaching the car-park.
Please find the bus timetables on the Göttingen Transport Services website (German user interface only).
On foot from the train station
The Cultural Studies Divisional Library is about 15 minutes' walk from the train station. Leave the station via the exit "Zentrum", turn left and follow the main ring road (Berliner Straße) for about ten minutes, while passing three traffic crossings and turning left into "Goßlerstraße" on the fourth crossing. Follow the road until you turn right into the small passage leading to the Cultural Studies Divisional Library just before reaching the multistorey car-park.
Take the A7 exit "Göttingen" and drive all the way down Kasseler Landstraße in the direction of "Stadtmitte / Hauptbahnhof". Turn left onto Berliner Straße, follow the ring road and pass three sets of traffic lights. At the fourth traffic light, turn left into Goßlerstraße, where at the end you will find a multi-storey car-par (chargeable). Right next to it you will find the Cultural Studies Divisional Library.
Take the A7 exit "Göttingen-Nord" and follow the feeder road until you reach Hannoversche Straße. Turn right towards "Stadtmitte". Drive straight ahead until you reach the crossing Weender Landstraße / Kreuzbergring, turn left into Kreuzbergring and right into Goßlerstraße. You may use the multi-storey car-park (chargeable) on the left hand side at the beginning of Goßlerstraße. Right next to it you will find the Cultural Studies Divisional Library.