Publication Funds for Monographs
Funding of Open Access publishing of monographs at the University of Göttingen
Starting in January 2022, the SUB Göttingen will provide limited funding for scholarly monographs and edited volumes in open access that have been produced in conjunction with DFG-funded initiatives. The necessary funding is provided by the German Research Foundation (DFG) in the Open Access Publication Costs funding program. They have been approved under DFG project number 491011488. A maximum of ten titles can be supported each year from 2022 to 2024.
- Members from the University of Göttingen and the University Medical Center Göttingen who wish to publish results from a DFG-funded project are eligible for funding.
- Two comparative offers from publishers must be obtained for the application, and the choice of publisher must be justified. Please use the DFG's form for comparison offers.
An overview of quality-checked and proven publishers for OA publishing is provided by the Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB). A publisher's membership in the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA) also fulfills the quality assurance aspect. In the case of book publications, e. g., through a university publisher, that incur additional costs, a grant can be provided. Since the fund's resources are limited, multiple applications from an institution or project may be rejected even if they otherwise meet all eligibility requirements.
In addition, researchers can continue to apply for funding for book publications via the DFG's publication grant program and also use it for open access. However, the funding obtained through the publication grant for researchers with a doctorate cannot generally be used for DFG-funded publication projects. If applicable, these funds can also be used to co-finance OA publications.
Please contact us to avoid double funding.
Monographs and edited volumes can be funded with up to 5,000 euros. Proportionate funding is possible in the case of higher costs. However, funding for anthologies is only provided for the editors and not for individual contributions. The Göttingen contribution to the publication must be documented. Mere participation in a previous event on which an anthology is based is not sufficient. The funds can be used for the costs of the Open Access publication, e. g. Book Processing Charges (BPC) and, within the framework of quality assurance, for editing or a translation. Administrative fees, printing costs, typesetting costs or surcharges for color, volume, etc. are excluded from funding (submission charges, page charges, color charges). A funding commitment refers to the respective calendar year; publication must take place within this period, otherwise a new application will be necessary.
Which uses are not possible?
- Funding of individual articles in anthologies
- Use for conference proceedings if the publication is otherwise funded (e. g., through admission fees, membership dues).
- The publication meets the requirements of good scientific practice and has undergone a comprehensible review process appropriate to the respective discipline for quality assurance purposes. The review process must be described both on the part of the publisher and for the publication to be funded.
- The immediate and complete publication takes place under a license that enables the free, legally secure subsequent use of the results worldwide. The selection of a free license, e. g. Creative Commons License (CC-BY or CC-BY-SA), is expected as the standard for the publication of books. The authors grant a non-exclusive right to use their publication as part of the Open Access status.
- The rights of third parties, for example to illustrations, have been clarified or the right to use them has been obtained.
- To ensure that the publications can be found, the books are given a DOI or URN and are linked to the ORCID ID of the authors.
- The affiliation of the authors and editors to the University of Göttingen is clearly recognizable.
- The publication contains a reference to the funding in accordance with the DFG guidelines for use in the following form: ‘Funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) - Project Number 491011488 (Open Access Publication Costs / Georg-August-Universität Göttingen)’ or in foreign language publications, e. g. in English: ‘funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG, German Research Foundation) - 491011488 (Open Access Publication Costs / Georg-August-Universität Göttingen)’.
- The Open Access edition is published before or at the same time as an optional print version.
- The quality standards of the AG Universitätsverlage for Open Access monographs apply.
Until an application form is available, please contact us by email if you are interested or have any queries. Please note that a funding commitment refers to the respective calendar year. Publication must take place within this period, otherwise a new application will be necessary. We will also be happy to advise you on finding suitable publishers and provide support with publishing contracts.